Note: Only the Admins and HR Admins can set up a Performance review.
Under Performance review > Reviews, click on the button (+) NEW REVIEW at the top-left corner to create a new review.
Once you initiate the set-up, the review creation process involves the following sections:
- Review title and reviewers
- Timeline and notifications
Note: While you set up your review, you can click on the icon SAVE DRAFT & EXIT towards the top-right corner to save your review as a draft. It can be edited at a later point in time to complete the review set-up process.
Review title and reviewers
Under this section, you will provide the following input:
- Review title - Title for the review e.g. Performance review Q1
- Introduction - Description of the review (optional)
- Reviewer selection - Click the toggle button to activate the options based on the reviewers involved in the process
|Reviewer type||Description||Anonymity||Peer nomination|
|Self-assessment||Participants complete a self-review||N/A||N/A|
|Managers||Managers review their direct reports (top-down feedback)||Reviewer can't be anonymous||N/A|
|Direct reports||Managers receive feedback from their direct reports (bottom-up feedback)||Reviewer can be anonymous if the Anonymous feedback button is checked||N/A|
|Peer review||Nominated peers provide feedback||Reviewer can be anonymous if the Anonymous feedback button is checked|
Reviewees can nominate the peers that they want to get feedback from if the Reviewees nominate the peers that they want to get feedback from button is checked. Otherwise, nominations are done by participants' Direct managers or by Admins via the Review detail screen
Note: For Managers and Direct report reviewer types, reviewers are assigned automatically based on the internal structure of your company. The reviewers do not need to be reviewees in order to participate.
Once you complete the above steps, click Next to continue setting up the review.
On the Participants page, you can choose and add the participants to the review process.
To add the participants, please follow the next steps:
- Click (+) ADD PARTICIPANTS to select the participants of the review process
- From the attributes section, choose Company, Office, Area, Department, Team, or Manager
- Once you select an attribute, you'll find the Segments under each attribute
- Use the (+) or (x) buttons to add or remove the segments respectively
- On the right-hand side, click the downward arrow against the respective segment to see an overview of all the participants
- From here, you can perform the following:
- Remove an existing participant by clicking the (x) button (appears while hovering the mouse over the participant)
- Add a removed participant by clicking the (+) button (appears while hovering the mouse over the participant)
- Click Save to proceed further
Note: Employees without Managers will not be included in the review process by default, and a reviewer needs to be manually selected for them.
On this page, you will see the final summary of the Reviewees (included and excluded). You can click on the See Details button to review the participants in detail for each segment.
If you need to add any more participants, click the button (+) ADD PARTICIPANTS and do so. Once your review contains all the necessary participants, click Next to advance to the Questions section of your review.
To add questions to the review process, please follow the next steps:
- Click on (+) ADD QUESTIONS and select a category (you can click on the info symbol to read the description of the category)
- Click on the (+) button against a question to add it to the questionnaire. To add questions in bulk from the current category, use the SELECT ALL button
- You can view the summary of your questionnaire under Questions included in this review section on the right-hand side
- Click Save to update the changes
- You can rearrange the order of the questions by clicking the = icon against each question
- The question Overall rating* will be automatically added at the end of your questionnaire
- You can activate the Potential-Performance matrix** if you want to include it in the questionnaire
- Click Next once you are ready to proceed to the next section
* The question on Overall rating has, by default, the following options in its 1-5: Below expectations, Meets expectations, Exceeds expectations, Greatly exceeds expectations, and Truly outstanding. To customize the answers, follow the next steps:
- Click on the pencil next to the Overall rating
- Click on the three dots icon
- Click on Edit to modify the text
- Click SAVE
** The Potential-Performance Matrix (Nine Box) is a simple tool that gives you a true picture of the developmental stages of employees in their current roles. If you enable it, it will appear in the Results area of your Review.
Note: The default questions under the section Recommended by Kenjo use a Likert scale to measure the responses. The scale has the following options: Strongly disagree, Disagree, Neither agree nor disagree, Agree, and Strongly agree.
Managing question categories
To add a new category under Your categories, follow the next steps:
- Click the (+) button beside Categories
- Add the new Category along with its Description (optional)
- Click the Save button to update the changes
To edit or delete a category, click on the info button. The details will open on the right side. Use the three-dots button (⋮) to access the actions Edit and Delete.
- The categories which appear in the Recommended by Kenjo section cannot be edited.
- It is important to create categories of the different aspects you want to evaluate since it will make the analysis of the results easier in the future.
To add a new question under a category, follow the next steps:
- Select your category and click the (+) button beside Questions
- Formulate your new question in the window on the right side, choose an alternative phrasing of the question for self-assessment (Ego Perspective), add a description, choose a category, and specify the type of response
You have the following options for the type of response:
- Free text - particularly suitable for complex issues
- Linear scale (especially suitable for ratings) - Options such as "Below expectations, Meets expectations, Exceeds expectations, Greatly exceeds expectations, and Truly outstanding" are provided by default. You can make changes to the options as per your requirements
- Multiple select (particularly suitable for trends) - Choose from as many options as you like and decide if you want to allow comments
- Single select - Choose from as many options as you like and decide if you want to allow comments
By clicking Save, the question now appears in the category you selected.
To edit or delete a question, click on the title of the question. The details will open on the right side. Use the three-dots button (⋮) to access the actions Edit and Delete.
Note: The questions which appear in the Recommended by Kenjo section cannot be edited.
Once you add the questions, you can save a template by choosing the Save questionnaire as a template option.
When you try to create a Template with the name of an existing template, the existing template will be overwritten. You'll be given a warning when the template name matches with an existing template.
Once the templates are created, you can use the templates during the review creation process at a later point in time. If you already have templates, you can choose the Load a template option to use an existing questionnaire template.
- An existing template can be renamed by clicking the edit icon
- An existing template can be deleted by clicking the bin icon
Timeline and notifications
In this section, you can define the timeline for each step of your Performance Review. The overall timeline is relative to the Review start date. Hence the app will display an error if the timeline doesn't match.
The timeline can be defined for the following sections:
If Peer review type is selected, reviewees or their direct managers can nominate peer reviewers during this timeframe
Date when all the reviewers can start to write their feedback
- Number of Days/Weeks since the review start date, post which the review process will end.
- If the Share feedback immediately option is checked, reviewers will be able to share their feedback with the reviewee as soon as they have written it. Otherwise, all feedback will be shared once the review end date has passed
- The feedback that is shared or completed can not be edited
- Unfinished feedback remains open for editing and sharing
Once the timelines are defined, you can view the actual dates in the Summary section on the right-hand side.
Participants and reviewers will be notified via email at each stage of the review. In this section, you can click on the Preview button to view the respective email templates.
Once the review is set-up completely, you can click on Launch review to initiate the review process.
To know how to manage the existing reviews, please refer to the Managing Performance reviews article.