The Payroll feature helps you prepare a preliminary payroll. Once your monthly payroll documents are ready, you’ll need to provide them to your external accountant.
To review and download your monthly payroll data, please go to People > Payroll. If you have access to more than one company, use the Company selector in the header of this view and choose the desired company. The date range is defined by the cut-off date you selected in Settings > Payroll.
If you have not made the basic settings for your payroll yet, you can learn how to do it by following the steps described in the article Set up of your Payroll.
Permanent employees view
Here you can review the list of salaries and variable pays for each of your permanent employees. You can customize this view by adding more fields, such as Department, IBAN code, or any fields you find useful: simply go to Settings > Payroll > Employee fields and add as many fields as you wish. Click Save and your fields will be added to the view.
Whenever any of the employee data is updated, the system will highlight the value in the table in colour:
You will also be able to view the currency details besides the salary and variable pay fields in the monthly payroll data.
Hourly employees view
Here you can review the list of salaries corresponding to the hourly paid employees. First, you will get a forecast of the salary. This forecast is calculated taking in consideration:
- the hourly rate set up in the Compensation tab of every hourly paid employee
- the weekly hours set up in the Personal tab of every hourly paid employee
The resulting amount will be multiplied by the tracked hours submitted in the Attendance tab, thus generating the exact salary corresponding to the worked hours registered between the last Payroll export day and the current day.
As is the case with the Permanent employees, the system will also highlight any modified values in the table in color. You will also be able to view the currency details besides the salary and variable pay fields in the monthly payroll data.
Calculating, Exporting and Closing your monthly payroll
To close your monthly payroll, it's important that you follow the next steps closely:
1. CALCULATE: Use Calculate to update the current data in the system. Any recent changes regarding the salaries, variable pay, time offs, all your selected fields in the settings or attachments will be reflected in the payroll after you click on this button.
To include inactive employees in the monthly payroll calculation, select the checkbox Add user to next month payroll calculation under the Personal > Financial section of an inactive employee.
Note: An inactive employee can be considered for the monthly payroll calculation only the first-month post deactivation. For example, if an employee is deactivated in January, he/she can be considered only for the February payroll by selecting the checkbox but not beyond February.
2. EXPORT: Use Export to save the data corresponding to the range of dates displayed on top. There are five options to export the data, depending on the format and amount of data desired.
- CSV: To save a compressed .zip file with three CSV files where you will get the data changes made within the selected time frame:
- "Payroll changes.csv" — for instance: new salaries, salaries raise or salaries cut
- "Time off data.csv"
- "Variable details.csv"
- two folders with the Payroll and the Time off documents
- CSV (all data): To save a compressed .zip file with three CSV files. The only difference with the previous file is within the "Payroll changes.csv", because this option will include all the payroll data for all employees, not only the changes made within the selected time frame.
- Excel: Same as CSV, but the files will be in .xslx format.
- Excel (all data): Same as CSV (All data), but the files will be in .xslx format.
- Monthly report: n Excel file with the salaries and variable pays added in the current and previous months. The cost center of every employee is also added to this report.
Please note: when exporting data using any of the first 4 options above, our system provides you with an extra .zip file containing all payroll changes from the previous month. If there were no changes in the previous month, you can simply ignore that document.
3. CONFIRM: To close the payroll for the current month.
Please, proceed with caution: only use this option once you have verified the exported data is correct and you want to close this month.
After confirming, you won't be able to make any further changes in this payroll. Any changes made to the Payroll data after confirming will be added to the export file of the following month.
Once the month is closed, instead of the employee list, you will get an overview of the month. This overview includes the Payroll files generated for that month, as well as any Time Off data and any Documents you added to your Payroll. You can find out how to customize this in last section of this article: Attachments.
You have the option to add all the relevant documents or time off for each monthly payroll calculation along with the payroll data. You can customize which documents or time off will get included in your Payroll overview, as well as in the exported files, by simply going to Settings > Payroll > Document Types or Settings > Payroll > Time Off and selecting the information you want to include in every Payroll export:
Time off type: If you select one or more Time off types from this list, your Payroll export will contain a table with this selection. The table contains the status of the absences from the first day of your payroll cycle until the export day. For example, from 08/01 to 08/23 if your payroll period is 08/01 - 08/31.
If, after completion of your payroll accounting in this month (export day), you have any additional absences (changes in the period 08/01 - 08/31), you will receive these changes in the CSV or Excel file in the following month.
Document types: If you select one or more Document types in this list, your Payroll export will contain a folder with the documents from the first day of your payroll cycle until the export day. For example, from 08/01 to 08/23 if your payroll period is 08/01 - 08/31.
If, after completion of your payroll accounting in this month (export day), any additional documents are added (changes in the period 08/01 - 08/31), you will receive them along with the CSV or Excel file in the following month.